This particular yarn has been a long time in the making. I originally spun the Redfish DyeWorks (bright red) fiber with the intention of making my standard 2ply – upon finishing the singles I realized that would be a damn intense yarn.
So the singles then sat on my desk for months* waiting for something.
*not a good spinning practice – but they didn’t end up too much the worse for it.
Turns out they were waiting for these 2 ounces of fiber from Wooliebullie (the darker purple-ier) – I originally thought about spinning this up on it’s own but that wouldn’t have yielded as much yardage as I would have wanted, and then when I held it with the bright red it seemed like the perfect match.
Fiber A (bright red): 4oz Redfish DyeWorks’s in an intense bright red
Fiber B (darker purple-ier): 2oz “Beaujolais” on Velvet from wooliebullie.etsy.com
(Both fibers are a 50/50 silk/merino blend.)
Yardage: 260 yards & 165 grams
Weight: somewhere around a worsted weight yarn
Spinning details: I spun the fibers worsted* and did a traditional 3 ply. The singles are spun with a Z twist, and plyed with an S twist. I also ended up with 15 or so yards of 2 ply from the singles that were left after the first bobbin ran out.
*for the non spinners – this is a spinning method and (just to be confusing) has nothing to do with producing a yarn worsted weight yarn.
Knitting plans: I don’t have any exact plans for this – but it’ll be something beautiful.